When the hits keep comin’
Ever have a few weeks where it’s just one bad thing after another? I’m not referring to breaking a nail or spilling your coffee. I’m talking about life changing, tragic events. Some people are truly blessed and have never experienced a string of unsettling issues. Others have them so often, they have learned to roll with the punches. Most of us have occasional struggles but seem to predominantly be doing okay.
If you are going through a rough patch, after a couple problems you may think, “Okay, bad things happen in threes (or so they say) let’s get the next one over with and move on. The third tragedy happens and think, “I’m glad that’s over with.” And then… another terrible thing happens, and catches you totally off guard. One person recently told me, “I don’t even get upset anymore when things go wrong.” That’s a good thing, but it was said with a defeatist attitude. That’s not a good thing.
It can be hard to stay upbeat when the hits keep comin’ and knocking you down every time you stand up, but it can be done. If you are currently going through tough times, or know someone who is, here are a few tips for how to stay positive during the struggles…
- Count your blessings. There is always something to be thankful for. Start with the fact that you woke up today. What’s that saying? “Any day above ground beats a day below ground.” If you have food, clothing, and shelter you have more things to be thankful for than most of the world’s population.
- Look at the big picture. Consider the situation. “In the grand scheme of things…?” How does this unpleasant event fit into your entire life. Someone once asked, “Was it a bad day or a bad five minutes that you let ruin the entire day?” Put any time frame around it, it’s a great question.
- Don’t get stuck in the mess. If you allow yourself to wallow in the sadness, bitterness, or anger, and don’t take steps to move positively forward you may begin to feel stuck. Look at the situation. Change it for the better if you can. If you can’t, accept it and move forward. Think, “This is what it is, now what?”
- Have hope for the future. Even Job came through his trials. He didn’t do it with a smile, but he did it with a belief in the future. As he endured, he became stronger, and ended up with much more than what he had lost.
- Come up with a mantra. Be sure it is positive. Of course, one is “everyday is getting better.” There a many positive sayings you can repeat to yourself to help you get through a trying time. One we often use is, “It is what it is and it’s all good.” Which one will you come up with? Remember, keep it positive!
Remember these tips when you are having a tough day, or a tough week, or when the hits keep comin’. A positive mindset, and a sense of humor can go a long way to a better tomorrow. Keep moving positively forward. You’ve got this. #StressLess #ChooseJoy.