The Longest Winter
It’s that time of year again, Winter. It seems like every year holds the longest winter ever.
A few lucky folks are in a location of year-round pleasant weather, but for the rest of us it gets chilly this time of year, and for some of us it’s bitterly cold. Add overcast and dreary and you may get a case of the blues.
Of course, it’s not overcast and dreary every day. Some days are quite deceptively sunny. Those tricky days can be a disappointment too, if you let them. You see the sun shining in a bright blue sky and decide to get some fresh air, only to discover, “It’s stinkin’ cold outside!” We might then return to the warmth of our home, disappointed.
How can we combat the doldrums and keep our sunny disposition through the winter months? Try these tips:
- Get some sun. On sunny days, sit by a window and let the sun warm your soul and lift your spirits.
- Exercise. Being active is good for your body and your mind. Get those endorphins flowing.
- Eat healthy. Many people tend to eat more in the winter months; be sure you are snacking on healthy snacks and watching the portions sizes. You don’t want to pack on the pounds over the winter.
- Hang out with friends. I know, it’s still too “Covidy” out for many of us. However, we are humans, not bears – no hibernating. Humans are social animals so most of us need to chat with friends and/or family periodically. Get in touch with someone who’s positive and encouraging to be around, even if it has to be over a video chat.
- Journal. Writing your feelings down is one way to get them off your chest. Write about the rotten stuff, but be sure to write about something good that happened too. Try to end on a positive note.
- Be thankful. Winter officially lasts three months, although it may seem longer to many of us, and it is longer in the northern states. However, winter turns into spring every year. Combat those winter blues in positive ways and spring will come sooner that you think.
*Pam Horton is a certified Stress Management coach in the Raleigh area.*