It’s that time of year again, time to go through your things and reevaluate!
It’s summertime right… garage sales and all that? Yes, but it’s also a good time to evaluate the items you have in your home (i.e., clothes, knick-knacks, those souvenirs you had to have, the gifts you will re-gift, etc.)
We go through our things twice a year June-July-ish & January. One friend commented about how hard it must be and how “purging” was something they really needed to do at their house. I explained to her that it really isn’t hard, it’s just a process.
Here’s what I suggested to her.
- Do one room at a time
- Start with three piles
- Throw out the trash pile
- Pack up the donate pile
- Take a second look at the KEEP pile
- Divide it into three piles
1. Keep out
2. Donate (pack away in storage)
3. Trash (Yes, you’ll find some things in your keep pile you won’t need to keep)
- Add the new donate items to the packed up donations and take it somewhere
- Pack up your save pile and put it into the attic/garage/closet
- Put away your keep pile.
See? Not that hard, just a process. Sure, it will take some time, but just think of how much more room you’ll have in your house! Room to move around. Resist the urge to re fill that empty space.
Where can you donate items?
Locally there are many options, as well.
- Thrift stores
- Non-profit stores that support a cause
- Consignment shops
- Church collections
The weekend is upon us, ready… set… GO!