I suppose “strife” isn’t an often used word these days, but it fits with the point I’m making.
1. vigorous or bitter conflict, discord, or antagonism
2. a quarrel, struggle, or clash
3. competition or rivalry
Yes, strife happens. We are human. Disagreements, conflicts, struggles and rivalry can happen among groups of siblings, children, co-workers, and friends.
If you are a peace-loving, try-to- get-along with everybody type of person, you will feel as I do… “Walk away from drama!”
However, sometimes that just isn’t an option, because you live or work with these people.
Can you remain calm in the storm that is going on around you? Certainly. It can be a little tricky, but here are some tips…
• Remain neutral – be like Switzerland, don’t choose a side
• Be a good listener – often times people just want someone to listen to them
• Keep a confidence – unless someone tells you they are going to hurt themselves, or others, don’t share what they told you
• When you get frustrated, share with someone you trust – for me, that’s my husband, or sometimes my mom. I trust both of them to not share what I have told them.
• Be a peacemaker –if it’s an option, help people work out their differences
• When necessary – walk away from drama
Be a good sibling, parent, co-worker, or friend. Don’t stir the pot! Jumping into the fray will not help the situation. Sometimes, in the heat of a struggle people are looking for someone to blame. You could find that people end up blaming you. That’s no fun!
Remember… Silence is Golden and Patience is a Virtue.
Have a peaceful, strife-free weekend!
*Pam Horton is a certified Stress Management coach in the Raleigh area.*
Receive Pam’s Top 20 Tips For More Time & Less Stress FREE
Sign up for the Enewsletter and download the tips when you get the confirmation email.