Are you ready for Christmas?
One of my favorite quotes is from Dave Ramsey, when he’s talking about people using credit cards “for emergencies” and they consider buying Christmas presents an “emergency” because they put it off and forgot to save. Somehow Christmas sneaked up on them. Dave says, “Christmas comes on the same day every year.”
No, I’m not going to blog about Christmas finances, I did that last year, you can go back into the archives and read that one – grin. But, I do want to ask you if you are ready for Christmas.
Sometimes we get so caught up in the hustle and bustle of the holidays that it becomes stressful and downright unenjoyable.
As we celebrate Christmas many of us have expectations of how it will be.
• The entire family will gather together
• There will be plenty of my favorite foods
• The house will be beautifully decorated
• The day will peaceful, pleasant, and picturesque
• It will snow on Christmas Eve
• I will get every present I asked for
Oh, how nice all of that would be! Wouldn’t a Norman Rockwell Christmas be wonderful?
Ah, but… many of us end up with a Christmas Vacation type of Christmas. Let’s be realistic! Christmas can be a stressful time as we try to meet the above expectations. Believe it or not, we don’t have to have a Norman Rockwell type Christmas to have the day be peace filled and enjoyable. We can…
• Cut back on the gift giving… Yes, I did say that
• Take the entire week to visit various relatives… they don’t have to come on ONE day
• Accept that traditions change as our families change
• Send Christmas cards with newsletters to keep in touch with distant friends and family
• Watch a Charlie Brown Christmas and It’s a Wonderful Life
• Be thankful for what, and who, we have in our lives
• Don’t sweat the small stuff
• Remember the Baby… Jesus is the reason for the season
Only six more days until Christmas! Are you ready? Make time to relax and enjoy this time of year.
One of my favorite quotes, from Tiny Tim… God Bless Us, Everyone.
I hope you have a very Merry Christmas, and a joy filled New Year.
*Pam Horton is a Board Certified Advanced Christian Life Coach, in the Raleigh area.*