I often work with an elementary school principal who finishes her morning announcements with, “Make it a great day – on purpose.” I love this so much I often share that sentiment with my 8th-grade granddaughter. It’s a wonderfully encouraging statement, and it puts the responsibility for how a person’s day goes right in their lap. Perfect.
Of course, we all heard the discussions about “finding your purpose.” I would suggest doing something on purpose is different than finding your purpose. Although, I imagine you can seek to find your purpose, on purpose. Just a little play on words, there.
There is also a difference between “meaningful” and “intentional” purposes. If you have done something intentionally, you had a plan in mind and took steps to make it happen. If you are doing something meaningful, you seek to add value to something or someone, yourself included.
When I think of meaningful purpose, whether it be “on” or “finding,” I see someone determined to be amazing, act kindly towards others, and encourage those around them in whatever way they can. So, what does “Have a great day – on purpose” look like?
- You will not be shaken by things you can’t control
- You look forward, with hope, to whatever the day may bring
- You take steps to find and maintain your inner peace
- You look a challenge, straight in the face, and tackle it head-on
- You use your time wisely
- You practice self-care, including getting enough sleep
- Add your own ideas; it is different for everyone.
What does “finding your purpose” look like? That is also different for every person because I think that revolves around finding your passion. There are many books, and coaches, that can help you work on that process.
Finally, what does “meaningful purpose” look like? I believe I see meaningful purpose being lived out by people who are
- Going after their dreams
- Setting and reaching their goals
- Sharing their stories and knowledge
- Helping others discover and go after their dreams
May we all live a life filled with meaningful purpose.
If we can help you with that, feel free to reach out… https://newdirectionlifecoaching.com/