Help Others be Thankful
November is often a month people concentrate on counting their blessings, the things they are thankful for. Coaches often ask people to list the things that bring them joy. You’ll see lots of social media challenges asking people to list one thing a day that they are thankful for. I’d like to flip the script on that idea.
Instead of concentrating on the things we have, or people we love, let’s focus on how we can be a blessing to others. Let’s help other people find something to be thankful for. Interesting concept.
How can we give others the opportunity to be thankful for something?
- Run an errand for a shut in, or single parent
- Babysit and let a neighbor have “date night”
- Do yardwork for someone who needs it
- Drive someone to an appointment
- Share articles your friends write
- Smile at every person you walk by and say “Hello”
- Ask how a stranger is doing, and if they answer, take a moment to listen
If you can do some of those things, anonymously, that is even better. It takes the focus off you and puts it on the blessing.
- Send a card to someone, just to let them know you are thinking of them.
- Leave a gift at someone’s door. It doesn’t have to be expensive. It could be hand picked flowers, homemade cards, or a sweet treat
- Pay for the person behind you at the drive through
- Donate items to a charity
- Provide Thanksgiving dinner for someone in need
- Leave a nice note on someone’s car
It’s just a few days until Thanksgiving. Take your focus outward and post each day on how you encouraged someone else in a way that allowed them to have something to be thankful for. We are blessed when we bless others. I encourage others to move positively forward, each day. I hope this helps people discover things they are thankful for.