HALT! Who goes there?
Have you ever heard of the acronym “HALT?” I heard it, for the first time this week! In case you haven’t heard, it stands for Don’t let yourself become too Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired.
It’s true. When we become too hungry, too angry, too lonely, or too tired, we tend to become cranky. We may even lash out at others when we are just too overwhelmed. So, how do we keep from becoming too Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired? Let’s look at some ideas to HALT the stress that comes from being too overwhelmed.
Too Hungry: Unfortunately, for many in the world, this is an issue that seems out of their control. That particular topic is beyond the scope of this blog/news. For today, let’s assume you have the means to have at least some food in the house.
- Instead of eating two or three big meals a day, eat three smaller meals and two snacks.
- Eat breakfast. It’s important to fuel your body after eight hours with no food. Breakfast gives you that jumps start of energy to get your day started.
Too Angry: Holding your anger in is not healthy. Letting your anger explode onto others can be hurtful to everyone involved. I think the key is to release your anger in a healthy way.
- Get away for a few minutes to cool down, scream if you must, punch a pillow, but be away from people while you vent.
- Try to let the little things go, before they turn into big things
- Calmly discuss the issue with someone, after you are calm
- Be forgiving, of others… and yourself.
Too Lonely: It’s easy, especially during a pandemic, to decide it’s best to be by yourself. However, it isn’t the best idea. Sure, a little alone time is a nice peaceful opportunity to relax and rejuvenate, but lots of alone time leads to loneliness. Even with an active social media life and tons of “friends,” we can feel lonely. People were designed for in person interaction. If you feel lonely, get out and get involved.
- Take up a recreational sport
- Join a club, or Bible study group
Too Tired: We can probably all relate to this one. People are too busy these days, which can lead to being too tired, which can allow us to get cranky. We can take steps to be well rested.
- Sleep 6-9 hours at night
- Have a consistent time for getting into, and out of, bed.
- If you have trouble sleeping, see a previous blog for tips.
Bottom Line? Be aware of how you are feeling and be proactive about using the HALT method to avoid becoming overwhelmed and possibly venting your emotions on others.